Myers Briggs Coaching – Unleashing Your Individual Potential
‘Whatever the circumstance of your life, the understanding of type can make your perceptions clearer, your judgments sounder and your life closer to your heart’s desire” Isabel Briggs Myers
What is the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)?
Having helped millions of people worldwide gain insights about themselves and how they interact with others, over it’s 70 year history the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) instrument has earned it’s place as the most trusted & widely used personality assessment in the world. Used by businesses world wide in the development of their individuals and teams, it is …
- Easy to grasp, insightful, and thought provoking
- Reliable and valid, backed by ongoing global research and development investment
- Completed in approx. 20 minutes
- Done on-line or via print versions
- Scored to identify an individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs personality type code (e.g. ESTJ)
- A common language for describing how individuals interact with each other and the world around them, which is extremely useful when using MBTI with teams
- Available in 20+ languages
For a history of the tool click here
Why might I benefit from Understanding my Myers Briggs Type?
The first step in using Myers Briggs is to understand your Type. Perhaps you might have wondered:
- If it would be possible to work more effectively with others?
- What would I need to develop to be even more effective in the way I operate?
- For me to be at my best, what environment or circumstances need to be in place?
- What are my triggers for extreme stress, and what I can do to protect myself?
You are a unique individual. You also share some characteristics with other people. Your Myers Briggs Type highlights those similarities and differences. It can help you deepen your self-awareness, find a career your will enjoy, become a better leader/manager or improve your relationships.
Understanding personal preferences (and non-preferences) has helped many of us improve how we communicate, learn, and work. It provides a powerful framework for building better relationships, driving positive change, harnessing innovation, and achieving excellence. The MBTI assessment makes Carl Jung’s theory of psychological types understandable, accessible and highly practical by helping individuals identify their preferences.
Laura has used Myers Briggs since 2008 with many individuals that she’s coached and developed within business, as well as using it for team builds at all levels of organisations.
What does the Myers Briggs Type Indicator tell me?
The Myers Briggs type indicator doesn’t measure, but rather it sorts (like the sorting hat in Harry Potter). It sorts people on 4 scales; with people having a preference for one end of the scale. Given there are 4 scales, that means there are 16 different types (or 4 letter combination).
By completing the questionnaire, you will receive feedback on your 4-letter Type. The type is based on 4 fundamental dimensions:
- Extraversion (E) – Introversion (I) – Where you prefer to get or focus your energy
- Sensing (S) – iNtuition (N) – The kind of information you prefer to gather and trust
- Thinking (T) – Feeling (F) – The process you prefer to use in coming to decisions
- Judging (J) – Perceiving (P) – How you prefer to deal with the world around you
An example of a type would be: E S T J
MBTI Step I – key features
- Uses the Myers-Briggs framework to define 16 personality types
- Road tested over the last 70 years, outstanding credentials
- Highlights individual strengths and how to capitalise on them
- Powerful application and problem-solving over a broad range of issues
- Comprehensive interpretive reports to support application
- Questionnaires and reports available in multiple languages
How It Helps
The MBTI assessment is ideal for a wide range of applications, including:
- Team development —helps ease communication among team members, identify team strengths and weaknesses, and create action plans for improved performance. Great for team building.
- Leadership development—deepens leaders’ understanding of their personality type and the types of those they are leading to help them manage better, give more meaningful feedback, and improve individual and team performance
- Conflict management—improves skills in identifying sources of conflict and intervening early to prevent underperformance, disruption, and disengagement
- Stress management—builds resilience, increases productivity, and offers strategies for identifying and managing stress triggers
- Career transition and planning—helps guide individuals on career choice, development and management
What’s involved …
You will be asked to complete an Myers Briggs Type Indicator questionnaire online or on paper if you prefer.
Then you will have a 60 to 90 minutes one-to-one session with a fully qualified MBTI practitioner. The session will start with the robust feedback process set out by the OPP (the professional Myers Briggs Type Indicator body in the UK), and will be tailored to suit you; focusing on getting you to your ‘best-fit’ type, understanding this in more depth, and looking at areas for further personal development. Your Practitioner may also refer to you further Internet based resources for further exploration.
Your one-to-one feedback session can be done face to face, or via Skype if a face to face meeting is not possible. If you would like an official MBTI report of your type to take away, all you have to do is complete the questionnaire on line and the cost of this report is included in your investment. Included in the package is your own personalised report. To see a sample report – click here
What happens once I know my Myers Briggs Type?
If you work in big businesses, the likelihood is that one or more people have taken the Myers Briggs type Indicator questionnaire, and can vaguely remember their type. The real value in the Myers Briggs Type indicator is not just knowing your Type (this of course is mildly interesting) …
… it’s what you do with that knowledge that makes the difference and helps people to develop and grow as individuals
Many people and organisations do not take the time or investment to really extract maximum value from the tool and therefore often it’s true value goes untapped. Where Laura has helped people get the best success with Myers Briggs, it’s where follow up coaching is undertaken.
On this basis, many people also choose to have a follow up one-to-one coaching session – where we take your knowledge of your type to the next level and really focus on your development outcomes.
Myers Briggs and Team Coaching …
Laura has used Myers Briggs for Team Building sessions (both where teams are newly formed and need to quickly get to a point of working effectively together, as well as with teams that may have struggles or challenges). In both scenario’s Laura meets with each person individually prior to the group team build, facilitates the 1 – 1.5 day team build and then meets each individual afterwards to take forward their own development. This is an extremely effective solution, and has worked well for many teams Laura has worked with. Click here to find out more, or give Laura a call if you’d like to understand more about how this could work for you and your team.
So, are you ….
• Ready to join the 2 million people globally that complete the questionnaire each year?
• Ready to take your personal development to the next level?
• Ready to take time out for you? For your development?
Get in touch to arrange your personalised Myers Briggs development session with Cardiff’s leading Myers Briggs Provider: email@example.com